7130.1 Control System for Keys and Locks
- Wright State University maintains a control system for issuing, installing, and using keys and locks. The purpose of the system is to provide maximum security of university facilities.
- The provisions of this policy are applicable for operations at all university facilities, except School of Medicine operations at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Residence Services housing units.
7130.2 Administration of the Control System
- The director of the Department of Physical Plant is responsible to the vice president for business and fiscal affairs for overall management of the control system for keys and locks.
- The director of the Department of Physical Plant is responsible for the following functions:
- Installing new locks, functional change of locks, and rebitting of locks, based upon approval by the appropriate vice president or dean.
- Manufacturing and issuing all keys.
- Accounting for all keys and locking devices.
- Vice presidents and/or deans are responsible for the following functions:
- Submitting requests through approved channels for lock installations and key authorizations.
- Assuring the return of keys to the Department of Physical Plant upon termination of space assignments or termination of a need for access by a key holder(s).
- Key holders are responsible for safeguarding and properly using each key issued to them. Key holders are subject to fines being withheld from their final university paycheck for losing, damaging, or misusing keys.
- Key approval
Only those signatures on file in the Department of Physical Plant shall be recognized as the approval signatures for a Key Request Form.
Type of Key Request Initiated By Approval Signature Authorized Users Great Grandmaster Department Vice President of Business and Fiscal Affairs President; Provost; Vice President for Business and Fiscal Affairs; Police Department; Facilities Planning and Management; Physical Plant; Environmental Health and Safety; Planning--Engineering and Construction; Computing and Telecommunications Services Grandmaster Department Vice President for Business and Fiscal Affairs Dean or Designee;
Master Department Director of Physical Plant Department Chair or Designee; Department Director or Designee Individual/ Submaster Department Department Chair; Department Director Faculty; Staff; Students
- Lock approval
- Only personnel in the Department of Physical Plant have the authority to install locks or locking devices on university facilities.
- The following approvals are required for lock installation and changes:
- The director of the Department of Physical Plant or his/her designee must approve the installation of initial locking devices.
- A department chair/director or his/her designee must approve rebitting and/or the function change of locks.
- Cutting and issuing keys
- Only personnel in the Department of Physical Plant have the authority to cut and issue keys for university facilities.
- Duplication of keys without the approval of the director of the Department of Physical Plant is strictly prohibited. Unauthorized duplication of keys may be cause for disciplinary action. Sections 3345.13 and 3345.99 of the Ohio Revised Code provide for a fine of not less than $50 or more than $150 for violations of this prohibition.
7130.4 Qualified Holders of University Keys
All full-time and part-time faculty, adjunct faculty, full-time and part-time staff, student employees, authorized students, and other designated individuals are qualified to hold university keys, upon appropriate approval and with an appropriately signed key request form. The following restrictions apply:
- Requests for more than one copy of a individual or sub-master key must be justified in writing and approved by the director of the Department of Physical Plant. The department head requesting and signing for multiple keys will be responsible for tracking and returning those keys. The issurance of multiple keys without individual key requests will be done only with strong justification and will be an unusual exception. Multiple keys will be assigned to a specific individual utilizing an appropriately signed key request form.
- A key holder who separates from the university must return all university keys issued to him/her to the Department of Physical Plant.
- Per University Policy 8180, 'Exit Clearance Process', each department will ensure the return of all keys and swipe/proximity cards to Physical Plant upon the departure of their employees from employment with the university.
- Per University Policy 8180, "Exit Clearance Process', exiting employees not returning keys and swipe/proximity cards will be assessed fines as follows:
Great Grand Master/Grand Master $300 each Master/Sub-Master/Individual
Swipe and Proximity Cards $100.00 each
- If a faculty or staff member requests that a student be issued a key to a university office or laboratory, the key must be issued to the student. The student assumes responsibility for any lost or stolen key(s). Failure by a student to return a key upon request may warrant a hold being placed on the students transcript until the key is returned.
- Keys may be issued to external contractors who are assigned to Wright State University. The Wright State University contract administrator is responsible for approving key issues to contractors and for retrieving all keys upon termination of a contract.
- Installing and changing locks A department requesting new lock installations, functional lock changes, and rebitting changes are to submit a work request to the Customer Service Center in the Department of Physical Plant. The costs of any such changes are the responsibility of the requesting department.
- Requesting electronic card readers and access systems Any request for installation of an electronic access device must be submitted in writing and approved by the appropriate vice president or dean, by the director of the Department of Physical Plant, and by the Chief of Police. The cost of electronic equipment and its installation, repair, and maintenance is the responsibility of the requesting department. The Department of Physical Plant will coordinate and manage the process for coding electronic cards, readers, etc.
- Issuing initial keys and replacement keys
- The requesting department is responsible for preparing a Key Request Form, indicating the status of the key recipient (i.e., faculty, adjunct faculty, staff, student employee), and securing approval by the signature authority.
- The prospective key holder must present proper identification and provide an original signature at the Customer Service Center for key pick-up.
- The Department of Physical Plant will reference the computerized key system to determine if the requested key was issued previously to the requestor. If the key was issued previously, one of the following procedures will be followed:
- The holder of a worn or broken key must return the key to the Customer Service Center in the Department of Physical Plant to receive a new or replacement key. There is no fee for replacing a worn or broken key.
- The holder of a lost or stolen key must report the missing key to the authorizing administrator, to the Wright State University Police Department, and to the Department of Physical Plant before a new key will be issued. Any costs associated with rekeying or rebitting a lock or lock system for security purposes will be the responsibility of the department who authorized issuing the key.
- An authorized key holder may pick up a key three working days after the Department of Physical Plant receives an approved Key Request Form, unless otherwise specified.
- The Customer Service Center in the Department of Physical Plant will issue a receipt to the key holder for returned keys.