3285.1 Policy Statement
Wright State University recognizes that students can document their achievement in college-level subject matter via military training, experience, and coursework. Credit will be granted to students with military training, experience, or coursework that has been recognized by the American Council on Education (ACE) or is otherwise regionally accredited, (consistent with the Chancellor of the Ohio Board of Regents’ Directive 2011-004.)
- WSU will follow the ACE Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services in evaluating and awarding academic credit for military training, experience, and coursework.
- If the course to which the military training, experience, or coursework is equivalent meets a general education, major course, or degree program requirement, the credit will meet that requirement and count towards graduation. Otherwise, appropriate free elective course credit will be granted.
- Students should consult with academic advisors to determine how military training, experience, and coursework credits can be used most effectively in meeting or waiving degree requirements. Advisors may recommend that students audit a course in order to be successful in their major areas or in a second course in a highly interdependent sequence of courses. (Students may not use audited courses to establish full-time status and may not change their registration from audit to credit or from credit to audit after the posted university deadline. Rather than auditing a course, students utilizing VA educational benefits may instead wish to enroll in the course for credit, in order to allow VA educational benefits to cover the associated costs.)
- If students who have been awarded such credit start in the middle of a sequence of courses, they may drop the course for a full refund subject to the current WSU Refund Policy and Refund Appeal process through Raider Connect. WSU will maintain a list of military equivalencies on the u.select system. This list will include the number of credits that may be awarded and course equivalents.
- Students who feel that their military training, experience, or coursework has been posted erroneously should contact Raider Connect for a re-evaluation.
- Repeated/duplicated military training, experience, and coursework shall not be posted. The determination of repeat/duplicate credit will be based on the ACE guide number for the course.